You are here:

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

Which magnets can be used for school experiments?

We often receive questions from teachers as to which magnets they should use for crafts and experiments with children.
Our most important safety tip "swallowing" deals with the safety of children. We take this subject very seriously and discourage giving neodymium magnets to children under 14. Besides the danger of swallowing, smaller children could put smaller magnets into outlets and receive an electric shock (see electrical conductivity). With larger magnets children could jam a finger and get hurt that way (see contusions).
Therefore, children under 10 years should under no circumstances handle magnets.
For experiments with children over 10 years we recommend our articles in the group Experiments & School. Other products in this category can be used to visualise magnetic fields, which boosts the understanding of magnetism.
Interesting and educational projects (experiments and crafts) for pupils of 10 years and over can be found under the keyword "school". This way, pupils can learn how to handle magnets carefully and responsibly, but always under the supervision of a teacher.